Sunday, February 15, 2015

Love is Crankenstein, Star Wars, and Shakespeare

My husband and I recently celebrated our first Valentine's Day.

Here are two of the gifts we exchanged:



T$ (my hubby) knows how much I love Dan Santat, recent Caldecott-winning author/illustrator of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend.  When he saw Crankenstein Valentine, he knew I would have to own it.  I totally scored in the husband department.

(I have a special place in my heart for Mr. Santat. When my daughter was in fourth grade, she did a research report on imaginary friends.  During her presentation, she read Beekle to her class.  I tweeted Mr. Santat about her presentation and her subsequent "A" grade. He responded by sending her an autographed copy of Beekle in the mail.  Who does that?! So awesome. He deserves all the recognition - and more - that he is receiving.) 

Recent Caldecott-winning genius.

Also, I could not believe that there was a Star Wars book written in Shakespeare's iambic pentameter: 


HAN: Pray tell, what shall the cargo be?

OBI-WAN: -Myself
The boy, two droids, and ne're a question ask'd.

HAN 'Tis what, a touch of local trouble here?

OBI-WAN Nay, let us simply say it thus: we would
Imperial entanglements avoid

HAN Aye, there's the rub, so shalt though further pay.
Ten thousand is the cost, and ev'ry bit
Shalt though deliver ere we leave the dock.

LUKE Ten thousand? Fie! We could our own ship buy
For such a sum as this.
HAN -A goodly jest!
For who should pilot such a ship -- shouldst thou?

LUKE Thou knave, I could indeed!. . .


This seemed perfect for a guy who loves The Force.


Moral:

Valentine's Day is another perfect excuse to buy books for the ones you love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment